gendarme n : a French policeman
- policeman (armed)
Gendarme ( or /ˈʒɑndɑrm/) can mean:
- Gendarme (historical): a horseman, usually of noble birth, belonging to the cavalry of the French army in the late-Medieval to Early Modern periods of European history
- A member of a gendarmerie. The word is often incorrectly used in English to refer to any French policeman.
- An isolated rock pinnacle in mountaineering
- A rock pinnacle of Seneca Rocks, West Virginia, which fell on October 22, 1987.
- A tool for checking .NET assemblies for common bugs and mistakes, part of the Mono development platform
gendarme in French: Gendarme
gendarme in Hebrew: ז'נדרמריה
Dogberry, G-man, John Law, MP, bailiff, beadle, beagle, bluecoat, bobby, bound bailiff, bull, captain, catchpole, chief of police, commissioner, constable, cop, copper, deputy, deputy sheriff, detective, dick, fed, federal, flatfoot, flattie, flic, fuzz, government man, gumshoe, heat, inspector, lictor, lieutenant, mace-bearer, marshal, mounted policeman, narc, officer, paddy, patrolman, peace officer, peeler, pig, police captain, police commissioner, police constable, police inspector, police matron, police officer, police sergeant, policeman, policewoman, portreeve, reeve, roundsman, sergeant, sergeant at arms, shamus, sheriff, superintendent, the cops, the fuzz, the law, tipstaff, tipstaves, trooper